View Single Post
Old 04-30-2004, 01:40 PM   #196
bilbo_baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In my front hallway, grabbing my staff, about to head out my door
bilbo_baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to bilbo_baggins
Quote:
And there, I think, is the essential dividing line of this entire thread. Some do not believe in absolute Truth, and in that case, Tolkien's definition does not apply very well. Nor would Tolkien's story have a deep Truth to be revealed; everything becomes subjective and individualized. Others do believe in absolute Truth, and can accept Tolkien's definition of Faerie as a revelation of that truth, and see numerous demonstrations of Truth in each of his stories.
Good one, Mark12_30, and I believe, those who take the side of non_absolutism for theory's sake.

I do believe that what you touched upon has a slight tinge of apprehension in it, at least for me. Let me quote again to clarify:

Quote:
To understand the fruits, check the leaves, trunk, roots and the soil. Look at his life. Look at what he insisted was important for *him*, what he was grounded in.
Again, that was from another of Mark12_30's posts. I do believe that what you are touching, Mark, could be traced to Tolkien's Christianity. This could turn the thread to matters gone over time and time again. The thread really has been estranged.