View Single Post
Old 04-30-2004, 10:11 AM   #34
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Its purpose was to return to its Master. In choosing who to try to tempt into making a play for it, it would no doubt take into account its victim’s physical power as well as his likely susceptibility to its wiles
How does this explain Gollum, then? Gollum was not strong, but he was susceptible, and, most of all, he was convenient for a while. I think this would also play a part; if all the Fellowship stayed together, then perhaps the strength factor would be important, but there is also the matter of maneuverability, and Gollum turned out to be quite good at that, as is Frodo and all the other hobbits.

I must say, though, that I find your defense of Pippin against all this 'palantirization' refreshing, Saucepan Man. So many people dismiss him as stupid or just silly, while he really wasn't, and I think he had a touch of the cosmic playfulness of Eru in him, even more than the others...but then that's my own view (but I think Gandalf would agree with me!)

Cheers!
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote