View Single Post
Old 09-17-2002, 01:08 PM   #726
Eol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was talking with a couple of my friends after going to dinner and discussing fantasy literature. We broke fantasy into three catagories: so fantastical, it can never happen, fantastical it would be cool if it happened, but probably would not, and so fantastical that is it possible it could have or will happen.

By no means do I say this is how it is, but it was an interesting way to think about fantasy.

Quote:
the mists of avalon, is a great book. Unfortunately I just have not been counting it as a fantasy -Bombur
So you are saying that any myth or legend created is not fantasy? Legands is partial truth with some embleshiment. Is not fantasy just that? I consider myths and legends possible fantasy as it makes something/someone seem more then they seem.

Example: Robin Hood did exist, but whether he stole from the rich and gave to the poor, ect. well it is up to grabs. Same as King Arthur, as he was once a ruler in britain, most likely a chieftian and great warrior. Time changes the story as it told orally and only after hundreds of years later does any of it reach printed word.

[ September 17, 2002: Message edited by: Eol ]