Thread: Hunted RPG
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2004, 06:52 PM   #79
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The sky was a leaden grey; the clouds, heavy with rain, scudded close together in the chilly wind . . . threatening . . .

Two days out of Bree brought the Hobbits just past the Barrow-Downs. Another day’s travel would bring them well into Buckland. Madoc’s mood, which had lifted somewhat at the generosity of the good people of Bree, grew heavier with each mile. ‘I should be happy,’ he murmured to himself. One of the ponies drawing the heavily laden wagon twitched its ear back at him as if to catch the Hobbits fleeting words. Madoc sighed and clucked encouragingly at the team to pick up its speed. ‘The sooner home to my sister and mother, the better,’ he said to the inquisitive pony, ‘the sooner I can shake this feeling of gloom and unease.’

It was late afternoon, and the little band of companions was beginning to slow down. Gorby had gone on ahead just a little and now came running back down the road toward the wagon. ‘I’ve found us a nice little place just off the road. Just round that curve there,’ he said, pointing back in the direction from which he’d come. ‘There’s a small clearing with some trees on the edges to block the wind. And a nice little stream . . . the ice is thin on it – no problems drawing water.’

The other hobbits gathered round the wagon. All were tired and hungry, ready for some hot tea and a little food. ‘Let’s go, then, Gorby,’ said Madoc, taking hold of the pony’s bridle. ‘You lead and we’ll follow along.

Soon they had pulled into the safety of the clearing. Gorby and one of the others went to gather wood for a little fire while the rest set up their little camp. Madoc began freeing the ponies from their harness and led them to a place where there was a little dried grass left for them to munch on. The ponies seemed a little restless, but he shrugged their actions off as them just being nervous about being in a strange place. He fetched some hay from the wagon for them, and as he was laying it on the ground for them, a small whiff of icy breeze against his neck made him shiver.

‘Pull yourself together,’ he admonished himself. ‘We’re almost to the Shire. Nothing to worry about.’

He shivered again though the wind was still . . .