View Single Post
Old 03-23-2004, 08:47 PM   #62
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Question Harold Chubb:

Harold had winced when his father had called him a “wooden headed ninny”. Since a bickering match with Fordogrim for the rest of the trip seemed very unappealing, he swallowed his pride and listened to his father’s rant. Still, Harold's irritation abated considerably when Fordogrim asked Sarah to make a mushroom pie. Harold savored in his mind a picture of his wife’s famous mushroom pie, and felt his stomach groan. Eager to appease his hunger, he nodded greedily when Fordogrim inquired if he would appreciate one. Maybe it was a good thing that Sarah wandered off after all.

“ Grandpa Fordo, I have a piece of very exciting news that I would like the whole family to hear.”

Harold turned in the direction of the children and called them over.

He waited for the children to join the rest of the family. Beaming, Harold addressed the entire family, “Everyone, I have a very exciting piece of news. While in the forest, Sarah gathered a bunch of mushrooms and now she will be able to make her delicious mushroom pie. But, I also have another piece of news, perhaps even more interesting. On our trip to get firewood, Kalimac asked me if May and Henry wouldn’t mind keeping an eye on his two little ones. I told him that you would not watch his children unless he paid you, which is only the fair thing. Why should the children have to do work if they do not get something for their services?"

" May, Henry, I want you to know that I do not expect you to take this task lightly. If you accept his offer, you must be diligent and dedicated and take your work seriously. Unless I feel that you have done a good job, I will tell Kalimac to keep his money. I am giving you this opportunity because I feel that you are responsible enough to handle it; please do not disappoint me. You are growing up and it is time that you start taking your work seriously. So what do you say? Are you willing to make the effort and earn your pay?"