View Single Post
Old 07-04-2002, 04:08 PM   #387
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Welcome, Olorin of the Third Age (I'm guessing). Post often. I have the first seven pages of this thread indexed and will post it soon, so stay tuned for an easy guide to this thread based on topic, page number, date, and time.

Lila, I think your original fantasy work idea is exciting. I hope you keep going on that and tell us how it's going. We're here to help with problems, too. In fact, there's a lot already posted on this thread that is gold-mine quality of encouragement and help.

So what do you think would happen if the whole party was suddenly feared as evil? Hmmm. Good balance-tipper there.

Thinyan: Tolkien also didn't have a really firm idea as to Sauron right away, so you're in good company. The Necromancer in Mirkwood was mysterious and terrible enough in The Hobbit, and the rest is Middle Earth history, so to speak. I'm interested to find out where things go...

Nar, I like your immersion and transition categories for fantasy stories. I see one more, in the tradition of Charles Williams, X-Files, etc.: "this-world-paranormal/supernatural stuff. The "Society" half of my story is this kind, and there is no transition to speak of until the boundaries between dimensions start getting crashed later in the story - oops - gave away a plot point there (fww folks ignore this [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ). And I'm starting a new fantasy story (don't know where I'm finding the time to do it all) that is very much the psychological/dream-mixing-with-reality/paranormal variety. So what would you call it?

NN10: I like where you're going with your ideas. Cool stuff. Hope to hear more. It's scary and a little strange to hear you talking the way I was feeling twenty-five years ago...Your main protagonist reminds me of one of my two protagonists, who gets sucked into this weird cultic/strange science kind of modern 'guild', which is also a mixed bag in terms of good versus evil. So I'm with you there.

As for unrequited love, oh yeah, it felt like waking up from a dream or the fantasy adventure suddenly ending with a crash; or more accurately, the feeling of really being alive suddenly coming to a screeching halt and the hum drum reality forcing itself back into my awareness. NNGG! <ouch> [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] The quote about love lost is from Shakespeare, as you probably are aware. Whereas I agree with it, the pain still can feel unbearable at times.

Anyway, the new story is definitely NOT Tolkien-imitation. A guy is out for a drive feeling in full force the rejection of his affections, and happens across this strange blue flitting light from which comes strange music. It's on the property of some rich guy, but my protagonist just has to go to it - touches it the same moment the rich guy comes out and attacks him - just for trespassing - touches it, and suddenly everything changes. The rich guy and his woman are going scuba diving and protagonist watches rich guy murder the woman, is spotted, and runs for his life and discovers that he's no longer in a 35 year old body but is a teenager again....and the next door basement he hides in - the family find him and insist he's their son who has FINALLY begun to talk like a normal teenager instead of the slightly autistic kind of kid he'd always been. Protagonist can't decide if he's dreaming or has gotten a second chance at life or what, and there's this murderer next door and things just take off from there. Man, I'm telling a lot here but it's just NOT AT ALL like the kind of fantasy I think we're all used to writing so I feel safe... (do we have p11 here?) [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Nope. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ July 04, 2002: Message edited by: littlemanpoet ]