View Single Post
Old 06-29-2002, 12:27 PM   #351
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Oops, Starbreeze, I meant to answer your questions but got all excited about the language thing and then it got so late...

Anyhow:
my story takes place in Michigan, my home state, and in Greenland, which is the dimensional equivalent to where the tower is in my land of Faerie. My Michigan venue takes to college campuses I know really well and kind of glues them together side by side to create my university. And then north of town winds up being taken from what was actually north of the place I lived when I was in high school. I don't know why there, except it just seemed like my imagination grabbed for it when I needed an unpopulated, dreary landscape.

As for civilization, my faerie realm is home to immortals and those humans they 'take' valhalla style from the earth dimension. So they keep a medieval to prehistoric kind of feel there. The immortals themselves cross the boundaries between dimensions at will, and bring back with them whatever they like, which means no technologies from the last 3 centuries. But they do know what's going on and know about jets, cars, and the rest well enough to talk about them - which they don't much because they don't care except for how it affects them - such as railroads, but that's in the story and I don't want to give it away - suffice it to say railroads have a negative effect on my Faerie realm, not unlike what they did to native american life, I suppose.

My immortals aren't elves. They're gods and goddesses, or at least deemed so by humans. That's because I'm working with the question of "what if the mythologies were true?". But my immortals run the gamut, as do Tolkien's elves, from dark and evil to fair and light.

Good questions, Starbreeze!