View Single Post
Old 03-19-2004, 02:17 PM   #155
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
As requested by Child, here's the game post for Kal's reply

"You, see, it's only fair that my lad and lass should get paid for their work. It will be hours of toil for them that will take them away from other useful things. Sarah and I agree that the responsibility would do them good, but only if they are given a fair wage for their time and their services."

Harold said all this with perfect and unwavering (at least the illusion of unwavering) confidence. Kalimac, even though he knew better, let his jaw drop and hang for more than a minute as he realized that, for the first time he knew of, Harold Chubb had actually insisted that he do something. He was practically floored. He shouldn’t need to pay a couple of tweens who’s family was in his employment! It was outrageous, maddening, and utterly confusing. Kalimac came to the irritating realization that he hadn’t even considered the fact that Harold might want his children paid.

But, as much as he hated to say it, he really had his heart set on having the Chubb children watch his own. He’d told Elsa that he would get the job done and it would be a stinging embarrassment if he refused to accept their services just because they asked for a few of the many coins in his deep pockets. It had to be done, even if it bit at Kalimac Whitfoot’s pride.

“I…I…I suppose you’re right.” He said at last, his words a little slurred in his bewilderment, “I will indeed pay your children if they are responsible and dutiful in their new line of work.”

He almost instinctively patted his vest pocket that contained most of his immediate funds. He didn’t mind parting with it, but he almost felt as if he was throwing it away. ‘Nonsense!’ he thought, ‘They want to be paid and I will pay them fairly and justly. Let it not be said that Kalimac Whitfoot is some money-hoarding miser, for it has just been proven that that is not the case. It's probably better to pay them. They’ll put more effort into it if they have a monetary reward to look forward to.’

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies