Old 06-09-2002, 04:59 PM   #244
Laiedheliel
Haunting Spirit

Location: A roaming Middle-Earth wanderer in the guise of a Ranger
Laiedheliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Laiedheliel
Sting

Quote:
Laiedheliel, I like your music angle. Someone on another thread mentioned modern dissonance vs classical: do you see different schools of magic? Could dissonant magic ever be good? -Nar
Hmm...I really haven't thought about it, but now that I do I'd have to say: no, dissonant magic could not be wholly good, and yes, I see different schools of magic.. This is why: the songs are like pacts (promises, bargans, pleas) with the higher powers of my world, and when you sing/play something beautiful, it catches their attention and makes them more willing to help you, almost as if they need to be bought over with more that one's loyalty. This is where the different schools would come into play: certain tunes and lyrics would be need for each deity, and for each effect you wished to achieve. There is alot more on that subject, and if you really wanna know, PM and I'll tell you the rest. If you were to play something dissonant, it might offend them, and thus make them less willing to give their aid. I suppose that if you did play/sing something dissonant, it would be harder or take more (an offering of some type, riches possibly for a virtuous deity, blood and souls for a foul one?) to accomplish the ends the song was meant to. A note: this is all off the top of my head, before reading your post Nar, I hadn't thought about it. I also feel like I've given too much away (for everyone at FWW!).

Quote:
Anybody want to share favorite monsters?
I haven't put any 'monsters' into my story yet, though I have plans in my head for demons and other such things (again, I'm giving stuff away!). I suppose I'd include other mythically creatures also, not just the evil ones. I'd be cool to have something similar to a chimera (sp?)...O, and dragons are cool.

Quote:
Question for y'all: how do you use your monsters - as foils for the hero/heroine? in unexpected ways? -LMP
My monsters would end up as obstacles on a longer path towards a main villan, as if the head bad guy were using them as pawns on a chess board. And certain alliances would come into play, it all gets very complicated.
But, LMP, you'll get to see eventually! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Creoso, Lila! Hope you enjoy your stay here with the undead, and keep posting!

Seven Pages! Woohoo! Now everyone should join in that magic drinking song!