View Single Post
Old 05-25-2002, 08:35 PM   #209
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Speaking of plot inconsistency (and this is NOT a competition, just hard luck), I have a particularly bad one.

I'm totally rethinking my entire story. I've had a warm place in my heart for the Nordic mythos and Anglo-Saxon, and so I've written all that into my story. But I've started admitting to myself that the very first image I had in mind for this thing, way back
in '86, took place in the hidden recesses of Wales. I don't know why it was there, but there it was. And I've been ignoring that key fact to the peril of the story in terms of inner INconsistency of reality for fifteen <bleeping> years. Moral: DO NOT IGNORE YOUR DREAMS. Little Celtic facts have been burgeoning up from the deep recesses in
spite of my best efforts to tame them, such as the name of the primary castle/abode of the faerie protagonists, which is Glimhoth
Caer. Now, how Celtic can you get? I've tried Germanic alternatives, but they just will not do. And my primary faerie being is more like the Celtic goddess Medb than anything in the Nordic mythos. So I've got this basically Celtic mythic thing going that I've been trying to force into a Germanic framework and it's no wonder I've been having such trouble!

I have a professor of Anglo-Saxon as a primary background character and I have all these characters taking the course, but now I wonder why? And if not that, what then -inner consistency realistically? Augh! Make them graduate students instead of undergrad? Why? I don't know. And so it goes... Maybe another 15 years and I'll have something figured out.
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]