View Single Post
Old 03-04-2004, 11:33 AM   #82
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Snaveling did not like surprises, which is why he tried to hard to avoid them. But he had already received one today and was rapidly greeted with two more. The word “friend” coming from Roa’s mouth and directed toward him, made waking up with a horse nuzzling his face seem like the most normal way to start any day. As to Toby’s tale of hobbit gallantry…the very idea of these little people fighting off a pack of wild dogs was one that he could barely entertain. The image of them standing, undaunted, against a horde of orcs was not to be credited. And yet, Snaveling was practiced enough by now to tell when Toby was fabricating and when he was not, and he spoke his tale with the assurance that comes only from an honest soul. Snaveling had underestimated Roa – had he underestimated these Halflings as well?

The Common Room was beginning to fill up with all manner of folk looking for their breakfast. As they had finished their meal, Roa, Snaveling and Toby were obliged to give up their table to another party. “Well, Toby,” said Roa. “I know that Snaveling and I have agreed to help with the decorating, but if you wouldn’t mind I think I’d like to have a bit of a look about the place first. What about you Snaveling?”

“I wouldn’t mind seeing the result of our labours My…” he caught himself, “Roa,” he finished. The name felt odd in his mouth; like fine pastry might to a man used to bread.

Roa smiled at his near slip. “All right then. Toby, as this is your land, lead the way!” Toby was only too happy to oblige: leading was something he had proven to be very good at.

They walked back through the room toward the kitchen to have a look at the completed Inn. The builders had been as good as their word; everything was fit and secure and ready for full service. The bustle in the kitchen was mighty with hobbits running about amid a terrible clatter as they prepared the flurry of orders coming in from the Common Room. They moved away from the kitchen and walked back toward the front door.

As they walked through the hall, they passed the rebuilt cellar door. As Snaveling saw it, a sudden chill ran up his back, turned at the neck, and ran back down. Roa saw him shudder and before he could look away from the cellar door, her eyes followed his. She stopped in her tracks and he could see that she was working something out. He hoped, with every fibre of his being, that the moment would pass unremarked.