View Single Post
Old 02-20-2001, 05:34 PM   #16
draggonklaw
Animated Skeleton

draggonklaw has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Animated Skeleton
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: The ascendence of Gandalf

Thanks for the replies guys. That confims for me that there was something extra-special about Gandalf's encounter with the Balrog. Surely it wasn't just a coincidence that it happened. It must have been some kind of &quot;fated&quot; event. Why else would Gandalf have emerged not only with more power, but with a (seemingly, at least to some degree) a new identity (ie. &quot;Gandalf. Yes, that's who I WAS.&quot; emphasis supplied).
I wonder if Aragorn's warning to Gandalf implies that he knew Gandalf would be tested? (see FotR 355. top of page). It does imply (at least to my mind) that Aragorn knew the Balrog was down there (perhaps he had aquired some knowledge of it's existence there when he himself went thru Moria years before?).
Sharku brought out an interesting concept, that all MEarthlings involved with the ring endure a test of somesort. He could have expanded his list by adding
Sam-Shelob
Merry-The Witch-king
Galadriel-the ring (&quot;I pass the test&quot;, she said).

</p>
draggonklaw is offline   Reply With Quote