View Single Post
Old 02-24-2004, 11:34 PM   #53
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Several miles over the madness horizon and accelerating
Bekah has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Bekah
The majority of Christians accept LOTR and the Chronicles. I find that most who don't haven't actually read them. (How could they? After all, they'd go to hell in a hand-basket if they did, according to their own beliefs.)

Let's see...magic in LOTR is a gift of power from Eru, or Iluvatar, commonly associated with God. Choices are made and the gift is used - it is neither good nor evil in itself.

Magic in Narnia - we have Uncle Andrew (Magician's Nephew), who dabbled in the occult, the White Witch or Empress Jadis (MN, TLTWATW), and we have the Green Witch Serpent (Silver Chair). All are portrayed as the antagonists. Uncle Andrew is a proud fool who dabbled in the occult. Jadis was the last ruler of Charn, and the source of her power is dubious, though I believe it came from her searching for power to destroy. The Green Lady's power is...well, never mind.

HP, however, has everyday magic. IMHO its more scientific magic than anything else - spells for convienience. I don't believe God is completely out of the HP picture, but he certainly isn't 'visible' in the books. The gift is given to certain people. Their choices are their own; the practice of HP witchcraft is not the practice of 'demonic' witchcraft. God forbids witchcraft; but real-life witchcraft has nothing to do with HP witchcraft.

Am I making any sense? Feel free to PM me if you have any questions for me...or if they relate to the thread post them here...

Cheers,

~ Elentari II
Bekah is offline   Reply With Quote