View Single Post
Old 02-23-2004, 03:26 PM   #5
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
How they reproduce I don't know, for the first dwarves were Seven Fathers
I recall that Eru took each of the seven fathers and stuck them in a hole someplace to sleep- along with a mate. I read it someplace in one of the HoME books.

(Durin was said not to have a mate though, but I would assume he just married the daughter of one of the other fathers)
Quote:
But those Shirefolks rose up so quickly against their oppressors
They didn't really. Sure, most of them wanted to rise up but that really doesn't mean anything because you couldn't find a group of people in the world who wouldn't want to get rid of another group that was oppressing them. That's pretty basic and goes without saying.

What matters is action, and so I ask what did the hobbits actually do about their situation? A few (notably the Tooks) refused to be pushed around and killed some of the invaders, but most of the hobbits just rolled over and took the beating (until the fab four arrived and stirred them up and turned their desire to rise up into an actual uprising).