View Single Post
Old 02-22-2004, 08:21 AM   #20
Lostregiel
Pile O'Bones

Lostregiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Lostregiel Send a message via Yahoo to Lostregiel
I donīt agree with you, Lord of Angmar, though I know what you mean.
I loved the final scene, it couldnīt have been longer in the cinema version, because not all the people who see the film are as huge LotR fans as we are, though I hope it will be longer in the extended version

The arwen and Elrond part was awesome. Elrondīs sort of happy at the wedding, but just for her, because sheīs happy, I think he showed his grief and sadness both in TTT and RotR, though itīs true that he could have been sadder in the havens, after all heīs leaving much behind, not just arwen, but also Elrohir and Elladan ( though they donīt appear in the books ), but Iīm sure he canīt help feeling happy: Iīm sure heīs been wanting to leave Middle Earth for quite a while, and they had managed to destroy Sauron and the Ring. Besides, what about Celebrian? Heīs going to meet her again, after so long.

Now, about Celeborn, I loved him going as well, I think PJ made a great decision there, itīs one of the things I least liked in the books. why did he choose to remain behind and not leave with her? I donīt know, it just makes it less sad.

Gandalf. His part in the story had ended. He went to Middle Earth to help destroy Sauron, and so he had done. What else was there for him in Middle Earth. Of course there were lots of things and people he loved there, but then, he came from Valimar, and itīs not surprising he wants to go back there. I loved when Pippin asked him something about death, that nostalgic look and half-smile! It was awesome. Going to Valimar fits Gandalfīs description of death. I donīt know, but somehow I had always thought of it as death: they go to a perfect land to meet their loved beings, who went before, not to ever come back.

Galadriel: She, like Elrond, was going to see Celebrian again, Itīs true that she was happy, but there was some nostalgy in her eyes, too. I donīt know, maybe you didnīt feel it that way, but I noticed some sadness and nostalgy in all of them.

What I didnīt like very much was Bilbo being so old, I know he was, but it makes me really sad seeing him in such a state. And Frodo? You canīt deny he was sad, just look at him while heading to the havens in the cart with Bilbo. And it was very well described why he had to go:
Quote:
How do you pick up the pieces of an old life? How do you go on? When in your heart you begin to understand, there is no going back. There are some things that time cannot mend. Some hurts go too deep... and they've taken hold.
Isnīt that enough? I personally loved Frodoīs commentaries at the end of the film.

I think the hobbits had the worst part at the end, it was hardest for them to accept Frodoīs departure, as it was to frodo himself. After all itīs something natural for Elves, and for Gandalf, but not for them. It must have been a hard way back home for them, specially for Sam, who, in the end, I think was the closest to Frodo. But Sam had a family, and life carries on.

I also would have liked to see Cirdan.

It know they could have made it sadder, much sadder, but what for? They considered more important the happy part of the story: the downfall of Sauron, Arwen and Aragornīs love, Eowyn and Faramirīs, Sam and Rosieīs, Gondor having a king again, the Time of Men...

I think it was awesome, PJ made a great job, not only with the end, but with the whole 3 films. I found it perfect, and it made me cry a lot! Besides, the music was fantastic, too, I love the song "into the west".

LOSTREGIEL

ĄAy por Lothlorien! Será una vida alejada de los mellyrn. Pues si hay árboles mallorn más allá del Mar, nadie lo ha dicho.
Lostregiel is offline   Reply With Quote