View Single Post
Old 02-20-2004, 04:23 AM   #33
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
From Unfinished Tales - Turin slays Brodda, and his wife Aerin, who has ever helped his kin, begs him to leave swiftly. Turin calls her faint of heart, and asks her to come with him. She refuses:
Quote:
The snow lies upon the land, but deeper upon my head (..) I should die as soon in the wild with you as with the brute Easterlings.
Turin and his companions leave.
Quote:
Then looking back they saw a red light far off in the land they had left. "They have fired the hall" said Turin. "To what purpose is that?" "They? No, lord: she I guess", said one, Asgon by name. "Many a man of arms misread patience and quiet. She did much good among us at much cost. Her heart was not faint, and patience will break at last."
I was startled at this outcome, and the reason for my surprise was that I had identified with Turin's perception of that woman as 'born for kinder times' and generous but lacking courage. I guess here is a difference beween overt courage and hidden courage, which is often taken for granted. Whenever I read this passage I am reminded of the conversation between Aragorn and Eowyn before he takes his leave.