View Single Post
Old 02-16-2004, 05:11 AM   #7
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Why would Gandalf reveal that to a mortal enemy?"
I don't think he revealed anything. The Balrog already knew who, or at least what he was. They meet eachother at first at the door, which burst into pieces. Gandalf later tells the Fellowship this.

Quote:
'Then something came into the chamber - I felt it through the door, and the orcs themselves were afraid and fell silent. It laid hold of the iron ring, and then it perceived me and my spell.'
The Balrog already knew what he was dealing with, so Gandalf at the bridge didn't declare who or what he was to the Balrog. Neither did he declare anything to the orcs, for he didn't speak out clearly his means. I don't believe the orcs know what the Secret Fire or the Flame of Anor is. Don't forget they are mere servants, just as ordinary Men or Hobbits wouldn't know what these things are.
Besides: if Gandalf was to be killed by the Balrog the orcs would desecrate his body anyway. That is their nature.

As for the Flame of Anor to be Narya or 'Light of Day', I think we are in unison. You said in your post that Elves, when making the Ring of Fire would rather take the Sun for their design than any other fire. So, aren't these things the same? If Gandalf meant Narya, which I truely believe, he also meant the Sun and therefore light of day.

greetings,
lathspell

P.S.: Mushroom... yes, the Sun is associated with victory, because when the Sun rose for the first time Melkor and his forces didn't know what the bright new star was and grew afraid for a while, knowing the Valar were watching them.
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote