View Single Post
Old 02-15-2004, 02:04 PM   #4
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Narya

I think the post of Finwe does make sense, although I do believe that the 'Secret Fire' is meant to be the Flame Imperishable. The 'Flame of Anor' is Narya, the Ring of Fire, I think. A quote that makes the thought about the Flame Imperishable seem likely is one when Gandalf and the Balrog stand at the bridge.

Quote:
There was a ringing clash and a stab of white fire.
Finwe told us that the Ainur, when without their body, walk around as a white flame. As an afterthought to the Flame Imperishable?!

Why I think that it should be the Secret Fire that is the FI and the Flame of Anor that is Narya is next to be told. The quote runs thus: 'I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor.'

Gandalf is servant to the Secret Fire. He is a Maia and therefore one of Eru's children from the beginning, who created with the FI. Thus it is likely that Gandalf meant by 'servant': obedient to. Obedient to the FI and so also to it's wielder.
The Flame of Anor. I believe it is Narya because Gandalf says he wields it. He doesn't wield the FI, but he does wield Narya, Ring of Fire.

greetings (for the first time at the improved forum),
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote