View Single Post
Old 01-28-2004, 07:35 AM   #12
zb
Haunting Spirit

zb has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>There was a deep bitterness in his eyes, that showed laid his grief bare, for those who knew to look into them. I did NOT get that from the movie. In the movie, they had Elrond sniffling, with rather ordinary tears.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I dunno. That look of joy and pain was pretty excellent. Still, I know what you mean. But I'm not sure whether there would be a way for PJ to represent that kind of sadness, even if he'd wanted to. <P>I don't mean acting ability so much as making a movie which is comprehensible to Joe Bloggs off the street. As far as most non-Tolkienites* are concerned, it would be weird for someone to be so sad 'just 'cos his daughter's getting married', because how many people really have and understand the idea that 2 people could be separated <I>for ever</I>? I mean, it makes your head hurt amidst the tears just thinking about it...<P>Call it a necessary dumbing down, if you like.<P>*and various others, I guess, like non-students of indo-european epic
"Do you think I am trying to weave a spell? Perhaps I am; but remember your fairy tales. Spells are used for breaking enchantments as well as inducing them. And you and I have need of the strongest spell that can be found to wake us from the evil enchantment of worldliness..." - C.S. Lewis
zb is offline   Reply With Quote