View Single Post
Old 01-05-2004, 08:40 PM   #20
zb
Haunting Spirit

zb has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

After having listened to ITW again, I have a theory: It's addressed to Bilbo. Analysis:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR><BR>Lay down<BR>Your sweet and weary head<BR>The night is falling<BR>You have come to journey's end<BR>Sleep now<BR>And dream of the ones who came before<BR>They are calling<BR>From across the distant shore<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Here, I go 'against the grain' and say this refers to the shots of Bilbo asleep in Frodo's arms. After all, this journey is the end of Bilbo's journey as much as Frodo's.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR><BR>Why do you weep?<BR>What are these tears upon your face?<BR>Soon you will see<BR>All of your fears will pass away<BR>Safe in my arms<BR>You're only sleeping.<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Admittedly, Bilbo isn't shown as crying, unlike the other hobbits, but I find it hard to believe he wouldn't be at least a little sad to leave middle-earth. Also, the "you're <I>only</I> sleeping" line can refer to the fact that Bilbo isn't dead (yet), he's just sleeping.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR><BR>What can you see<BR>On the horizon?<BR>Why do the white gulls call?<BR>Across the sea<BR>A pale moon rises<BR>The ships have come to carry you home.<BR>And all will turn<BR>To silver glass<BR>A light on the water<BR>All Souls pass<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I guess one problem with my analysis here is that in the books, the 'all will turn to silver glass' bit is associated with Frodo. Then again, in the movie, the line is said by Gandalf, to Pippin, so why can't it refer also to Bilbo?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR><BR>Hope fades<BR>Into the world of night<BR>Through shadows falling<BR>Out of memory and time<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>This bit confuses me, no matter who it's addressed to. All I can think of is Bilbo's wish to see the ring again - I admit that's pretty weak.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR><BR>Don't say<BR>We have come now to the end<BR>White shores are calling<BR>You and I will meet again<BR>And you'll be here in my arms<BR>Just sleeping<BR>And all will turn<BR>To silver glass<BR>A light on the water<BR>Grey ships pass<BR>Into the West<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>'you and I will meet again' poses a problem, I guess.<P>Still, it's an idea. Any obvious gaping holes in my argument which I should have noticed already?
"Do you think I am trying to weave a spell? Perhaps I am; but remember your fairy tales. Spells are used for breaking enchantments as well as inducing them. And you and I have need of the strongest spell that can be found to wake us from the evil enchantment of worldliness..." - C.S. Lewis
zb is offline   Reply With Quote