View Single Post
Old 12-27-2003, 03:47 PM   #21
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Glad to see that others loved the music for the beacon lighting as well. That was the sole reason I didn't mind how incredibly dragged out that scene was (OK, PJ, mountains and beacons we got the point five minutes ago! ). That's more my taste in scores, to have the music really driving the action along rather than skulking around in the background, or repeating the same few bars <I>ad nauseum</I> (like the Saruman/Uruk Hai theme from FOTR). It was fantastic to see Howard Shore finally release, and just blast out a really unconstrained, joyous piece for the beacons.<P>My major gripe is probably more with the editing than the actual music. Aragorn's speech at the Black Gate was completely cheesified with your classic Hollywood score over top. The music should at least have been quieter, and allowed Viggo the attention he deserved at that moment. I was lucky enough to see Viggo filming that scene near Tongariro National Park in New Zealand, and believe me it was much more moving when everything else was still.<P>On the TTT EE DVD (!) I notice that Howard Shore is given very little time to put the final score together, since PJ always pushes his deadlines right down to the wire. I think it would have been nice if the composer had received the final cut of the film a little bit earlier, to allow everything to be put together perfectly.