View Single Post
Old 12-28-2003, 08:31 PM   #30
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Saucepan Man, alas, they did indeed slice "Brazil" for television. Lost a grand total of about an HOUR of footage, too - the cut is completely incomprehensible if you haven't seen the real version. Informally and derogatorily known as the Love Conquers All version, because ... well, you can guess why.<P>Oh yes, Tolkien! . Actually, I'm with you on Turin Turambar - that's always been the story that I turn to if I'm not sure what in the Silmarillion to read. Unfortunately, the plot being what it is, I can't see it getting anything other than the Small Film Opening In Three Arthouse Theatres Nationwide treatment. And while I'd loyally hike out to see that, there still remains the filler problem. The end is fantastically done in terms of dialogue, but there would be an awful lot of details that the filmmakers would have to fill in on their own if they wanted to get a decent movie out of it.<P>Beren and Luthien would work - there's certainly enough traveling and dramatic tension and doomed love affair-ness. Does this mean Liv Tyler would have to play Luthien, though? After all, Arwen is supposed to be pretty much her image...not sure how I feel about that...