Thread: Bad casting
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2003, 08:46 PM   #5
Iris Alantiel
Haunting Spirit

Iris Alantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Elrond looks so evil, and even acts evil like in ROTK he tries to change what he knows is Arwen's destiny, in spite of also knowing what she would choose. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think you bring up a good point - it would have been nice to have a sympathetic and caring-seeming Elrond who would have played that whole storyline in a softer, more "My-heart-breaks-for-my-daughter-and-I-want-to-lovingly-save-her" kind of way. As it was, he came across as hard-hearted, angry, and kind of manipulative (that whole "Do I not also have your love?" thing was pure emotional blackmail). All throughout, I thought he came across as much more harsh and angry than I imagined him - like the whole "she stays for you" episode in TTT where he yells at Aragorn. He has a permanent scowl on his face and all his lines sound as if they ought to end with "Mr. Anderson".<P>As for the Denethor thing, there's no hope for it. I don't think any actor could have played the script all that much differently from how John Noble played it. But that was not a huge problem for me because I was never a big fan of Denethor in the books; to me he always came across as kind of a jerk anyway. I always found him too angry and too willing to give in to despair.
Iris Alantiel is offline   Reply With Quote