View Single Post
Old 01-16-2004, 10:09 AM   #12
Enedbelethiel
Animated Skeleton

Enedbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I thought Bernard Hill's Theoden was great for the movies. As an interpretation of the book Theoden, there were obviously some differences. As to this: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> the film Theoden a bitter, angry one, who would not be so approachable. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I think that PJ wanted the film Theoden to come across as a sort of foil to Aragorn, who was the one giving the courageous and inspiring advice. PJ essentially wanted us to see the rise of Aragorn. <P>If he fleshed out Theoden's character, it would have distracted from the development of Aragorn into the future king. It's unfortunate for Bernard - not to mention us as fans who love the book Theoden - who I think could definitely have pulled off a stronger and more compassionate Theoden (as we saw in his speech to the Rohirrim, which was one of his best and most stirring moments). <P>Nevertheless, we did see his great love for Eowyn and his honorable decision to aid Gondor in its time of need. The film Theoden just had to be "weaker" in order to show Aragorn's coming of age.<p>[ 11:11 AM January 16, 2004: Message edited by: Enedbelethiel ]