View Single Post
Old 12-11-2003, 11:47 AM   #40
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I honestly think that Chris Tolkien has suffered enough. True, many fans all over the world want to see The Hobbit in movie form, but when it comes down to it, it is Christopher's call. From his perspective, a director who butchered the Professor's favorite character, the one who was closest to him, shouldn't be allowed anywhere near The Hobbit. I felt the exact same way. Faramir was probably one of Tolkien's most favorite characters, and considering how badly PJ butchered him, Christopher's opinion makes sense. <P>I'm not saying that Christopher is completely infallible, because no one is. I agree that he is being stubborn, but we have to look at his reasons for being stubborn. If he genuinely feels that The Hobbit can't be made into a motion picture, then there honestly isn't much anyone else can do about it. The situation with Simon is grievous, and I am of the humble opinion that the Tolkiens shouldn't be estranged over this matter, but Christopher does have a right to deny Peter Jackson the right to film The Hobbit.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote