View Single Post
Old 12-09-2003, 09:02 AM   #16
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lailath:'<I>I think Lindil's idea of beefing up the Destruction of Erebor/Dol Guldor backstory is an excellent one.</I><P>Thanks, I actually gave quite a bit of thought for a few days to how I would do 'There and Back Again'. Making the most of the White Council meetings, Lorien attacking Dol Guldor and Sauron feigning retreat.<P>All of these would imo be legitimate amplifications. We know it happened JRRT just gives an passing mention though.<P>We could also see glimpses of the Rangers in Bree, and maybe even Tom Bombadil peeping over the hedge of the East-West Road [quite subtly of course]...<P> <I>However, I don't know how/if they could establish the Necromancer as Sauron.</I><P>As far as I recall, don't they [The White Council] figure it out when he flees to Mordor [at the latest]? <P> <I>Also, the Hobbit (book) does not really draw links between the Necromancer, the Orcs of the Misty Mountains and Smaug, and I think PJ might have to do that in order to give the film plot coherence.</I><P>Not sure what you mean. Most of the Orcs of the Misty Mountains seemed to be something of free agents at the time, refugees from Angmar or Moria, not currently under the control of the Necromancer. That is really just my impression though, I can think of no texts offhand that support an active controlling link between between the Misty Mountain Orcs and Sauron until he starts to co-ordinate a greater Offensive in th LotR.<P><BR>"Oh, and I wonder how they will feature the Ring, which seems such an innocent thing in the Hobbit..."<P>Hopefully not with a flashing EYE as soon as Bilbo picks it up [although I bet PJ would be tempted]. Especially as the Eye was not yet [re-]established in mordor. That may deserve it's own thread...
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote