View Single Post
Old 09-21-2003, 11:02 PM   #7
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

...the final visit to Bilbo outside the Shire, then Frodo's separation from Sam, Merry and Pippin and attachment to the fading world: Gandalf, Bilbo, Elrond, etc. , the return journey in silence while Frodo makes his in parallel over the waters...then perhaps a glimpse of the Blessed Realm just as Sam arrives home and says, "Well, I'm back!" Just a nice sequence that suggested itself to me...it would be an apt way to show the ending of the Third Age and the beginning of the Fourth in terms of who is leaving and who staying behind. I would imagine Legolas and Gimli to be unobtrusively in the crowd sailing West. <P>Also, for a lagniappe, I would add after the credits, Sam, as an old hobbit, stepping onto the last ship to the West and setting out over the waters....<P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta<P>P.S. I realize I haven't said anything about Aragorn/Arwen: hmmm...I don't know where I'd put that, except on the tag end with Sam leaving, Aragorn dying, laying himself to rest in the Rath Dinen next to Merry and Pippin, then Arwen laying herself down to die alone on Cerin Amroth...too sad, no, I don't think I want to see that! <p>[ September 22, 2003: Message edited by: Lyta_Underhill ]
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote