View Single Post
Old 09-23-2003, 01:46 PM   #28
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

<B>Beth</B> is right: This thread was not intended as a venue for discussing Ian McKellen's sexuality. <P>Do it on your own time.<P><B>Knight</B>, now that I think about it, it makes sense that your attitude toward Liv Tyler's portrayal of Arwen might stem from her past work, but the decision to start this thread is a culmination of my obsevations of people that post on this forum for the past year and a half.<P>"Liv Tyler?" People have said. "Wasn't she that naked chick from 'Stealing Beauty'? That's not good enough for our Arwen!"<P>Or,<P>"I can't take her seriously because she's that chick from that stupid Aerosmith video."<P>I am curious to discover just how much of the negative attitude toward Tyler stems from the fact that she is, above all else, Liv Tyler. <P><B>Underhill</B> brought up a good point that she seems too immature to play Arwen, especially in TTT (Tolkien wrote that Elrond and Arwen's parting would be "bitter," but a scene that smacked of something you'd see on Oprah, complete with a needless plot-twist, was not something I, personally, had in mind). <P>At the same time, does this seeming immaturity stem from Liv Tyler's persona as a whole? Remember, Arwen's character was much more "together" in FotR. Do you agree with <B>Underhill</B> that bad direction and bad lines are <I>also</I> to blame for what we saw in TTT?<P>Overall, is there something that makes it ultimately impossible for some audience members to judge Liv Tyler's performance solely by what they see on the screen at that particular moment?<p>[ September 23, 2003: Message edited by: Lush ]