View Single Post
Old 06-17-2003, 02:08 PM   #14
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You mean this?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> "Ill?" cried Denethor, and his eyes flashed suddenly. "Why do you ask? The men were under your command. Or do you ask for my judgement on all your deeds? Your bearing is lowly in my presence, yet it is long now since you turned from your own way at my counsel. See, you have spoken skilfully, as ever; but I, have I not seen your eye fixed on Mithrandir, seeking whether you said well or too much? He has long had your heart in his keeping.<P>"My son, your father is old but not yet dotard. I can see and hear, as was my wont; and little of what you have half said or left unsaid is now hidden from me. I know the answer to many riddles. Alas, alas for Boromir!" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>This is hardly approval of Faramir's deeds. It is a strong insinuation that Faramir cares more of the opinions of Gandalf than anything that his father might think.<P>Theoden definately argues that the Ring should be in Minas Tirith for safe keeping rather than be sent to the Cracks of Doom with a couple of Halflings. He argues this quite forcefully with Gandalf, and this is after he knows exactly what Isildur's Bane is where, in the scene we are all guessing about, he could only have the faintest inkling.<P>Now, those hypothesized words I put in Denethor's mouth may be coming out a little too forcefully. I think it would be more effective if it was actually just a casual comment directed towards the departing Boromir but overheard by Faramir. More about solving a mystery than about securing power. Wouldn't that be tragic? A few casual words by a father secure the fates of both his sons.<P>Of course, we are just guessing here based upon a few words in a newspaper article and could easily be way off the mark. If anyone else has ideas as to what this reporter might have been refering to when he said that Faramir being mean to the hobbits is explained, I for one would love to hear it, but please, let's keep this from turning into just another thread whinning about perceived shortcomings in the film.<P>H.C.<p>[ June 17, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]