View Single Post
Old 01-26-2004, 08:53 PM   #34
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Earendil Halfelven has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Where were all these huge, big, all-powerful femnazi organisations, I wonder, could they not have leapt to her defence with an onslaught of legal action? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ahhhhhh, sarcasm. The defense of the weak. <P>I didn't say the feminist groups were all powerful, so please stop blowing what I said out of proportion. I was just saying that as a thought, not as a sure fact. There's no point in debating feminist groups and whether or not they would or could sue New Line Cinema. At least, worrying about feminist groups ranks beneath whether or not I get activated and sent to Iraq on my list of things. And anyways, feminist groups are off the topic, so let's steer back towards Arwen. I'm not putting Liv Tyler's down or her role in the films. I thought she did just fine with what the script writers had given her. <P>So, back to Arwen and her pink dress!<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>...I think most people have a problem with Arwen's inflated role because her character was meant to be mysterious, subtle and unobtrusive... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Thats almost exactly the impression of Arwen that I had when I first read the trilogy. I figured that Arwen was a figure of Elvish "nobility," I guess you can say; a person of mystery and awe, and not the sort of lady you can just walk up to and say "Hi!" In the books, she commands respect among the folk of ME. <P>In the movie, I get that sort of impression, but not quit, and I guess others also have that impression of her from the story, but are disappointed when they see Arwen on screen just like one of the "guys." I guess thats what bothers people.<p>[ 10:00 PM January 26, 2004: Message edited by: Earendil Halfelven ]