View Single Post
Old 01-26-2004, 06:12 PM   #29
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> My point was more one about general attitude amongst Tolkien fans. There is far more fuss about Arwen than there has been about anything else - so much so, in fact, that as the subject of this thread indicates, it seems that PJ was forced to change the plotline he had mapped out - something he didn't do with any other character. <BR>So, I think it is pertinent to ask, why particularly Arwen? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think that I can answer your question a bit, Lalaith<P>From the time since some fans first discovered that Liv Tyler would be playing the role of Arwen, some of them have been protesting against her. (I say "some" for I do not want to point any fingers, for not all fans, including myself, did what I am now describing.) This protesting caused Peter Jackson and the writers a lot of trouble, not to mention that it caused Liv Tyler, who so did not deserve being referred to as some of the horrible things that the fans called her, a lot of heartache. Some fans wrote about her very badly, and she even said herself in one of the interviews in the third cd of the TTT EE that she cried when she saw all the terrible things that some people had said about her. So, when the writers discovered the romance of Aragorn and Arwen in the Appendices, they took this opportunity, and changed the storyline so that they could avoid all of the things that would have been said if they had allowed Arwen to travel to Helms Deep in the final cut of the movie. <P>Plus, I believe that the writers and P.J. did not really want, at the beginning, to have to change the storyline so much, as to have Arwen go to Helms Deep, yet they saw no other way to keep the love affair between the two alive. So, when they found their story in the Appendices, they jumped at the opportunity to change the script around.<P>Personally, I am very glad that P.J. put in the flashback scenes between Arwen rather than change the story around to have Arwen go to Helms Deep. That would have been too much of a change for me, on top of the fact that the elves of Lothlorien were sent to Helms Deep.<P>Well, hope this helps out a little. Namarie, everyone.
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Galadel Vinorel is offline   Reply With Quote