View Single Post
Old 01-23-2004, 08:21 PM   #9
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ring

I thought that it was excellent. One of the advantages of film as a medium is that it is able to depict first hand events that are described only second hand in the book. Jackson uses this to good effect (for example in the battle against Sauron in the Prologue and most of the Saruman scenes). And this was another example of that.<P>I didn't think that it was too long either. Any shorter and it would have lacked impact and seemed almost like a "throw away" scene.<P>HC, as always, put it very well:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The sequence powerfully re-establishes the power and corruptive nature of the Ring while showing us a lot of the nature of Gollum's character. Both of which are important to understanding the key events in this story. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The climax of the film is the destruction of the Ring. This is what all three films have been leading up to. The Ring, therefore, is the central element of the films (as it should be) and, in light of this, Jackson has chosen to emphasise its power and corruptive nature. What better way to reestablish this in the final instalment than opening with the instant effect that it has on Smeagol and the (physical and mental) degradation that he undergoes in consequence?<P>It also deftly rounds off Smeagol/Gollum's story. In TTT, he was, to some extent, a sympathetic character. We are reminded of this by being reintroduced to him as he once was, an innocent "proto-Hobbit" living an idyllic life. Initially, therefore, we retain our sympathy for him, and this is emphasised by his comical first appearance in the first scene with Frodo and Sam. This contrasts powerfully with his despicable behaviour throughout the rest of the film. It is that behaviour that makes his final fate more acceptable, and yet we are still able to feel sympathy for him for the creature that he once was before the Ring crossed his path.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I would've much rather seen the Saruman/Gandalf showdown at Orthanc on the big screen, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Much as I lament the absence of this episode, I can see now that it would not have worked in RotK. With the (sad but understandable) absence of the Scouring of the Shire, Saruman had no further part to play in the film and so opening with him would have seemed strange and incongruous. And it probably will in the EE too. It really should have been included at the end of TTT, and I suspect that Jackson may now regret not having put it in there.<p>[ 9:26 PM January 23, 2004: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]