View Single Post
Old 03-24-2003, 11:22 AM   #5
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

OFF-TOPIC: Gotta say this: Did you SEE Adrien Brody when he went up to accept his award? Whoa! Happy guy right there!<P>Well, I'd better prepare for a backlash: here comes the optimist. I wasn't really upset that TTT won only two Oscars (it's better than none!), for several reasons:<P>1) It won a bunch of awards last year, and will most likely win another bunch this coming year for RotK. By my experience, it's the first and last movies in a saga that have the most success with award shows and all, and usually not the contents in the middle of the sandwich (hm... that makes little sense) however good they might be. I predict that, unless they totally blow the battles out of proportion, RotK will win Best Directing, Best Picture, and maybe Best Supporting Actor or Actress (Eowyn will come through!). The most epic and memorable scenes are, to my recollection, in RotK. That's what's going to win or lose us the Academies next year.<P>2) Good, fair competition. For those of you who have not seen Chicago, go to the theatre and see it. You will be pleasantly surprised. The movie is a great rendition of the musical, with amazing sets, good music, extremely talented actors, singers and dancers, and a story that is... a little ironic, I might admit, and with a pretty undeserving heroine, but very cool. It deserved the Oscars it got (with the exception of Sound... TTT really should have gotten that one) and I appreciate it for what it is: a great and memorable film. Unlike A Beautiful Mind (who's going to remember THAT in fifty years?).<P>3) Expectations. I didn't think LotR would win Best Picture or any category in which it was up against Chicago or Frida or anything like that. It did win two awards, and I'm happy with that. It got recognition and wasn't totally humiliated at the Oscars.<P>Good show, everyone! Many great movies this year... and a few surprises up from the underground, pleasant or unpleasant (Eminem! UGH! Couldn't hold a candle to some of the songs). Happy 75th, Oscar!
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote