View Single Post
Old 02-01-2004, 08:09 PM   #49
Dininziliel
Wight

Dininziliel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

What an interesting topic! I’ve thought about this before since I watch the EE’s a LOT, and have wondered at how I continue to cringe/flinch at the same scenes every single time. <BR> <BR><B>Cringers & Flinchers & Try-to-Close-My-Eyes-Before-They-Happen Scenes:</B><BR><I>FotR:</I> Bilbo’s sudden, vicious transformation at Rivendell when Frodo won’t let him touch the Ring; when Boromir runs his finger along Narsil; a half-flinch when Pippin touches the arrow on the skeleton perched on the well in Moria; <BR><I>TT:</I> Gollum eating the worm; the Wild Man slicing his hand; the Ent being set on fire; when Haldir gets the second & fatal blow; ; I cringed first time Eowyn sang, but now I look forward to it<BR><I>RotK:</I> (have seen it 6 times and I think these will stay the same for the future): When the mumakil get shot/sliced or crash & fall; when Faramir’s lieutenant gets skewered by Gothmog in Osgiliath; seeing Sam & Frodo sleeping on the very edge of a cliff edge about 100 miles up (what if you had one of those tired muscle spasms?); Shelob half dropping and then spinning Frodo’s limp body in the slimy-sounding web goo<P>It’s also interesting at what DOESN’T make me cringe/flinch.<BR><B>Scenes-I-Probably-Should-Have-Been-Cringing-At-But-Really-Like:</B><BR><I>FotR:</I> the no-nonsense beheading of Lurtz (actually, any & all of Aragorn’s sword fights)<BR><I>TT:</I> the tower/ladder falling back to the ground after Legolas severs the rope line<BR><I>RotK:</I> the smashing encounter when Rohirrim meet Orcs.<P><B>In Related Category:</B> I can’t help thinking these things throughout each movie every single time I see it/them: “Gosh, you’d think someone would have broken a few bones by now,” and “When do their feet/clothes ever have time to dry out?”