View Single Post
Old 01-19-2003, 09:32 AM   #13
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked it. I don't think it's out of character to what the elves are capable of physically. This is from LoTR - Book 2 - Chapter 6.<P><I>Haldir skillfully cast over the stream a coil of grey rope, and he caught it and bound the end about a tree near the bank. ... He made his end of the rope fast about another tree, and then ran lightly along it, over the river and back again, as if he were on a road.</I><P>To be able to run along a rope as if it were a road is a superhuman trick. Heck, if they can defy the laws of physics by walking on snow without leaving footprints, I can certainly except the horse mounting trick.<P>As for shield surfing bit, I was certainly rolling my eyes but I know I had a smile on my face, especially with the icing of having the shield kill one more orc after Legolas jumped off. I know purists hated it, but just that one moment didn't kill anything for me. I found it very much like when Aragorn and Frodo rode the broken piece of bridge in Moria. That was also ridiculous when you get down to it, but it worked for me.<P>H.C.