View Single Post
Old 04-23-2002, 08:19 PM   #1
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Crap burrahobbit doesn't like...

There are two things about The Fellowship of the Ring that I am not particularly fond of. The first(second) thing is on the Redhorn Pass. It shows Saruman doing magic to cause a storm, when it ought to be the mountain itself causing the storm. <P>The second(first) and more troubling is during the discussion between Arwen and Aragorn in Rivendell in Elvish. The subtitles say at one point that Arwen says something along the lines of "Long years has it been since I saw you last," but I was paying attention to the words being said aloud, and one of them jumped out at me: yén. You may or may not be aware of what exactly a yén is. A yén is an elvish period of time. Most of the time it is translated as "years", or "long years" as above. But that isn't exactly what it means. A yén is 144 years of the Sun. At the time Arwen said the above Aragorn was about 90, he hadn't even lived to see one yén!<P>[ April 23, 2002: Message edited by: burrahobbit ]<p>[ April 23, 2002: Message edited by: burrahobbit ]