Thread: Annoying lines
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2002, 08:21 AM   #22
Fingolas
Animated Skeleton

Fingolas has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Gorothlammothiel,<P>That’s a good question, and I’m not sure of the answer. The only time that I can remember Tolkien mentioning Goblins is in The Hobbit. It has always seemed to me that at some point between the publication of The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings, Goblins turned into Orcs. I assumed that Tolkien was still fleshing out these characters, so to speak.<BR> Perhaps someone with a little more knowledge on this can speak to it.<P>Cheers!<P><BR>Just found this ...http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/default.htm<P>Is there a difference between an 'Orc' and a 'Goblin'? The following quote from the foreword to The Hobbit sheds some light on this: "[The word 'Orc'] occurs in one or two places but is usually translated goblin (or hobgoblin for the larger kinds)." (Hence the statement above; 'especially the smaller kinds'). This entry concentrates on the goblins of the Grey and Misty Mountains simply because it is these Orcs that Tolkien most frequently refers to by the term 'goblin'. <BR>The word 'goblin' is also used occasionally and indiscriminately in The Lord of the Rings; it never occurs in the The Silmarillion.<p>[ March 31, 2002: Message edited by: Fingolas ]