Thread: Annoying lines
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2002, 11:40 PM   #17
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

The "Nobody tosses a Dwarf" line bothered me not because of any off-color connotations (the first time I saw the movie, I didn't know there were any ) but because it just seemed like an unlikely time for Gimli to be getting an attitude, so to speak. Obviously it's very in character for him to be proud and stubborn and reluctant to be helped and so forth, but in a situation where it looks like he's under attack on the verge of plunging to sudden and nasty death it just doesn't seem likely that he would pick a fight like that, likelier he would do whatever got him over the gap the fastest and only think to gripe about it afterwards.<P>As for Arwen, I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but when I first read the books I had a very difficult time even being aware that she was there, let alone getting an impression of whether she was naturally strong. Probably it's because I was fairly young (ten) and at the age where romantic subplots are something to be read through as quickly as possible on the way to the adventurous stuff, but ever since then I'd never really been able to think of Arwen as a fleshed-out character; she just turned up in the end, bravely renounced her immortality, and married Aragorn. It was very impressive, but I never really got a sense of what her personality was like. Until the Appendices, of course, but I didn't read those until much later...