View Single Post
Old 03-04-2002, 12:38 AM   #27
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I came to the books 16 years ago (ouch! That long!) I was six years old and my dad read "The Hobbit" out loud to me and I loved it and read it to myself over and over. We didn't do "Lord of the Rings" until I was ten, though - not sure why, except maybe my parents thought I was too young. <P>As for the movies, though, I didn't even know they were making any until last spring (traveling a lot...kinda out of the loop). My only thought on the subject was to hope that they wouldn't absolutely desecrate the story, and of course that didn't happen (Arwen rescuing Frodo, forsooth! It could have been much, much worse. Arwen joining the Fellowship, for instance, or Frodo marrying Rose Cotton instead of Sam). The movie was great.<P>As for discovering the books through the movie, I think that's wonderful. The more Tolkien fans in the world, the better, no matter how they found out about it. These are stories, not marks of a caste system. Besides, who in his right mind would want to wait a year to find out what happens in TTT when the book is available now?