View Single Post
Old 01-24-2003, 07:53 AM   #23
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lailath:
Quote:
As we've discovered, the Avari question is very problematic, particularly given all the revisions the Professor made during the course of his long life.
The situation we have here is identical with that of the thread which explored the labels of High-Elven/Eldar/Noldor etc.

JRRT's usage of the terms in bothcases seems to have been subtly nuanced at one moment only to be contradicted by a later detail and then revised yet again, etc, etc.

If we were to strike a mean balance [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] of all of this, I would hazard to say that the nandor/Silvan/Green-Elves did indeed pick up [ or were found by] the more adventurous or disconsolate Avari group here and there over the ages and that small groups were probably to be found within Lothlorien, Mirkwood/Greenwood, Harlindon and Dorthonion.

It would be great if someone with the time [ i.e. not me [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ] could set out the above quotes in as close to chronological order as can be ascertained.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote