View Single Post
Old 12-31-2002, 07:24 PM   #23
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

She was excellent, really excellent; I'll join in the chorus here saying that they found the book Eowyn a little hard to relate to at first (though she grew on me on rereading, especially during the time in my life when I found myself in a situation quite similar to hers). But Miranda Otto played her very well, she wasn't made into a sticky saint - you can see that she's developing a bit of feeling for Aragorn - but she was very human and believable, and courageous. <P>Also - I liked that she looked like someone who really could have grown up in Meduseld; that is, not ortho-perfect and with perfect plastic-surgery Hollywood features. Plastic-surgery prettiness has its place, but not in someone who's supposed to have grown up in fairly rustic conditions (even the Golden Hall wasn't exactly Byzantine in its luxury) and who doesn't have an hour a day to make up and do her hair. Clearly Eowyn didn't have that, she was just naturally very pretty.