View Single Post
Old 12-31-2002, 02:58 AM   #62
Alphaelin
Wight

Alphaelin has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I expressed my opinion of the Character-Formerly-Known-as-Faramir briefly in another forum, but will try to expand on it here. <P>First, David W. did his job as an actor. He said the words he was supposed to and followed the directions he was given. He did his job well, and he should be pleased with his work.<P>PJ & Co. on the other must be slapped and spanked. Dramatic license does not excuse such a complete change in a major character.<P>I was okay until Faramir decided to take the hobbits to Osgiliath. No. Wrong. The essence of Faramir is that while he is supposedly the younger and weaker of the brothers, he is in fact the greater of the two. Boromir has physical courage but not enough moral courage to resist the temptation of the Ring. Faramir, in the book anyway, does have both inner strength and physical courage. <P>While there was not enough time to use all three chapters of Frodo's meeting w/Faramir, it would be quite possible to put together one or two scenes of interrogation dialogue between them by using excerpts, and giving one or more of his men new lines referring to the expected wrath of Denethor and the danger facing Gondor. <P>As I said before in the other forum, I suspect that this character is in fact Faramir's evil twin Clive. He has locked Faramir in a cellar somewhere in Minas Tirith, from which Faramir will doubtless escape in ROTK.