View Single Post
Old 12-27-2001, 04:46 PM   #24
Tirinor
Haunting Spirit

Tirinor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

By the way, LOTR is not alone among books that should be rescued from a diminished genre classification. There are others lost there that should be added to the Literature ranks.<P>To continue my music analogy from earlier: when I hear a pearl jam song between a britney spears song and a backstreet boys song on the rock station, it creates a attitude of equality that ultimately detracts from the respect of the greater artist. But Pearl Jam is not the only one that deserves a better setting; Counting Crows suffer the same situation. <P>It's not the fault of "rock" as a classification that it's respect has diminished, it is the fault of all the stupid popular songs that the masses eat up for five months then discard for the new flavor.<P>Likewise:<P>It's not the fault of "Fantasy" itself that its reputation is sullied; it is the fault of the majority of the books that fall under that category due to the poor discernment of the masses that make it popular. <P>So when I attack fantasy, I attack what it has become, not what it may have inherently been.