View Single Post
Old 12-27-2001, 11:25 AM   #13
Tirinor
Haunting Spirit

Tirinor has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I agree with Rhudladion about Peter Jackson's portrayal of the elves in the movie. They seemed cold and distant, and Loth Lorien looked like a ghost world, not the golden paradise the book describes. I thought character development was sarcrificed to move the plot along, but I can see why, and that may be remedied in the later movies. <BR>I thought Frodo was pretty weak in this movie, and am looking forward to an improvement in his character in movies two and three. Aragorn was good, although he bombed on a couple of lines. I thought the rest of the fellowship was well cast and delightful, especially Boromir. Elrond was, by far, the worst character in the movie, Agent Smith looked the part, but he sounded terrible and the character itself couldn't have been any farther from who Elrond is. I think the poor treatment of the Elves in this movie does a great dis-service to Tolkien it being the case that the Elves and their history and language are of the greatest of his creations.<BR>On the whole I hold a very forgiving and lenient stance toward the first movie. It is a very difficult story to translate to the screen. I am hoping that the next two movies will repair some of the short-comings of the first movie and I will reserve my final judgment until all movies are released.