View Single Post
Old 07-11-2003, 07:41 PM   #1
FingolfintheBold
Haunting Spirit

FingolfintheBold has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to FingolfintheBold
Tolkien technology in ME

I searched the threads and didn't find anything to close along these lines, so here goes: Why is the technological development in the LotR so slow? Not that I dont like it better the way it is, I would MUCH rather have it the way it is written, as Im sure you all do. but in all the abounding time the elves were alone, then in Valinor, then back in ME, then in Beleriand, in all the time that Numenor was at it's height, there seems to be very little technological development un the area of weapons.

Sure in architechture and crafting and such things there were breakthroughs and wonderful new ideas, but in all those years not even a crossbow is mentioned that I have read of (i guess i could have overlooked something...).

I would think that with all that skill and need of weapons there could have been some sort of gunpowder projectiles or at least advanced arbalasts. Yet in all those ages the same primary medieval weapons were employed, until Sarumans "Fire" that was likely of a bomb nature but could have been some sort of sorcery.

It took mankind, by a Biblical estimation, from 5,500 to 9,000 years ( rough estimation) to develope gunpewder projectiles, and there were rockets and bombs in use before that. The Elves had a WHOLE lot longer than that to come up with something, but apparentley they didnt.

Im I missing some vital info in one of the HoME, or what?