View Single Post
Old 07-03-2003, 04:17 AM   #5
Bunko

Sting

Like Gorwingel I am not an 'Elder' either so i cannot say that LOTR has changed through the many years of reading. I can comment on that it does change the more times you read it.

Looking back I really wish I had read LOTR and other Tolkien work when I was younger or at school but like many people only got into it after the FOTR movie.

Since then I have read LOTR twice, The Silmarillian, Unfinished Tales and I am on my third reading of FOTR.

Even though I do notice more details about the characters with each reading I am still drawn to Gandalf, he is the hero for me. He is powerful, sincere, caring and is even willing to sacrifice himself for the good of his friends and ME.

I was reading FOTR yesterday on the bus on my way home from work the part when Gandalf Falls in Moria and it brought a lump to my throat. I even dreamt about it and felt sad when i awoke.

He is the hero to me mainly for the vision and patience he had to plan with the help of others the downfall of Sauron and the ring.

My signiature is something Gandalf says to Frodo about Gollum and I'd like to think this changed my attitude towards certain things.

I'm sure as the years go by i will read it many more times and see different qualities that will change my opinion on other characters.