View Single Post
Old 03-16-2002, 10:34 AM   #19
Airetalathwen
Animated Skeleton

Airetalathwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Airetalathwen
Sting

Ah! My favortie horse is named Toby too! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Although, he's not a joy to ride bareback... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Anyway, in very early centuries, all horsemen rode in saddle type things but without stirrups. The big change came when armies fought against the ?Mongols? who had invented the stirrup. They could turn around backward in their saddles and shoot arrows at people while at a full gallop. Their stirrups allowed them to twist and turn and preform all kinds of manuevers that caught all other armies by surprise.

So, I think that Elves would sometimes use saddles at times when they wouldn't know what was going to come along the way, or if they might need the use of stirrups for more stability. But most of the time I am of a mind to think that they still rode bareback.

Horses do not stink. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] They smell wonderful! That's the difference between liking horses, and LOVING horses. I think the other horse lovers here can back me up....i hope..... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I don't have enough time and money right now to train like this yet, but when I own my own horse, this is how i'm going to do it:

Parelli Natural Horse-man-ship

These people are amazing. They ride with nothing on the horse. I've seen a live demonstration in Ohio, USA. It's unbelievable. They ride like the Elves!! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] And anyone can learn how to do it! I've seen it happen!

Anyway, I too was dissapointed to see all the horses being checked so much during the flight to the ford!! Horse back riding 101: don't give to horse two contradictory commands at the same time. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Wow, this is turning into a long post!

~Airetalathwen