View Single Post
Old 12-04-2002, 06:43 PM   #88
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

Quote:
I'd vouch for Beren on this point, because I am a staunch believer in that the pen is mightier than the sword. If Beren could move the most beautiful women in the world to such tears that even Mandos, all powerful as he is, can't resist, Beren must be a truly great man.
What?! That does not say a thing about the power of Beren's soul. It says more about Luthien's, not his.

Quote:
Is a man's greatness to be measured by how much blood he spills, or by his actions; for he must have truly been in love Luthien to do as he did.
Hurin's greatness is not based on the amount of blood he shed. I don't think that anyone is really saying that it was. His greatness is based on his action of resisting Morgoth's person for a couple of decades.

How smitten Beren was by Luthien (and no doubt he had it bad) doesn't really have anything to do with it.

Quote:
This isn't also to mention that he was a great (GREAT) poet, which was what moved Luthien to him in the first place.
So was Daeron but he was never in the running for being the Greatest Elf in Middle earth.

Quote:
He was also the only guy to scale Gorgoroth, and go through Dungortheb, facing the like of Ungoliant, evading Sauron, and then he made it through the girdle of Melian; I doubt many people who want to do that CAN.
Yes, it's an impressive resume. However, Hurin was the helpless prisoner of the Great Primeval Evil. (The cause of all the suffering in the world, remember.) Hurin had no hope, and still refused to submit.

No other human, ever, went through anything so terrible.

(Why is it I seem to have a galling inability to drive home this point?)