View Single Post
Old 07-12-2003, 11:33 AM   #22
Kates Frodo Temp
Wight

Kates Frodo Temp has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Interesting thread, guys! I flatter myself I am a beginning writer after the style of C.S. Lewis. Time will tell.

Quote:
How did you decide that you wanted to write fantasy?
It just came to me. I've always loved creating the characters in my mind, and realized that I was capable of developing a real passion for the person I imagined. When I started reading more fantasy, I couldn't help but try my hand at writing!

Quote:
What kind do you write?
I have plans for several novels, and have one well underway. I'm starting over, though. I was in a real slump, and couldn't understand what was holding me back. Then it hit me: I ALWAYS write with an outline, but had failed to make one for this work! Aaaaahhhhhhh!!!!

My poetry is truly awful. That's okay, cuz I really don't want to write poetry anyway. I only create it when I'm very bored and want a writing challenge. What I do is think up a complicated rhyme scheme and think up something to fit it. Doesn't make for great writing, but it's great to kill some time!

Quote:
Has Tolkien influenced your writing?
I'm sure Tolkien's writing has influenced me in some way. It really isn't obvious in my writing, though. I dislike fan fiction, and would never try to copy anyone, but I think the idea of creating my own languages probably came from Tolkien.

Quote:
How do you make your protagonist (hero) somebody your reader can relate to, or like, or at least sympathize with?
My current main character is a true antihero. Not the type that gets respect. I don't even like him. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I tend to depend on a strong "supporting cast" of characters. Hmmm...Gotta work on that.

My writing has been described as correct and well thought out, but not interesting. I foresee a career as a journalist before me! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] Thankfully, my lil'sis is helping me with character developement and description. She has a truly artistic mind, and that flavor carries over to her writing.

Can anyone suggest a site where I can get help and inspiration?

Have a great day!
~Kates~

Sign my lighter, Meela?
Kates Frodo Temp is offline   Reply With Quote