View Single Post
Old 07-29-2003, 08:59 AM   #77
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Okay, here I go.

Gandalf: Slightly warmer and more grandfatherly than in the books I think, but I liked that change. I think everyone agree's McKellen's performance was wonderful.

Bilbo: Ian Hom was absolutely brilliant. His scenes at Bag End with McKellen still remain some of my favourite. Of all the performances, this is the one that seems almost bang on to what's in the books.

Frodo: I think some of the nobility of this character was lost when Jackson decided to go for the deer-in-the-headlights look. I thought it worked well in the first film, but I began to get very tired of him in the second. Then again, I get very tired of Frodo at this stage in the book too. I'll forgive a lot and if PJ gives us a powerful Grey Havens with Frodo bearing the costs of war with courage and nobility, then I'll be happy.

Sam: As much as I like Sam in the book, I like Austin's Sam better with that edge of sycophancy not there. All the loyalty, courage, conviction and slow but cunning intelegence is there though and that can be tough to catch. It would have been to easy to make Sam Frodo's dopey lap-dog as he was in the animated film.

Pippin: I like Boyd's Pippin. I know some folks find him a bit too clueless, but those qualities where there to be found in the book. In a multi-cast film, you really have to streamline supporting characters more. You can see though an edge of wisdom beginning to creep in that will hopefully manifest itself more in RotK.

Merry: As has been mentioned, this one's tougher. I think the character of Merry is harder to nail down. More of a leader than Sam or Pippin but steadfast and fun loving at the same time. I'm not sure how well it's been captured and I'm reserving judgement.

Aragorn: Alright, here it comes. I really like Mortensen's Aragorn. Too often I found book Aragorn, stodgy and stiff. I like the conflict, especially his conflict over Arwen and whether he has the right to ask of her what he so deeply desires.

Arwen: I don't have a problem with Tyler's Arwen. If she had been swinging a sword at Helm's Deep (as I believe was originally envisioned) I would have been upset, but I think PJ has been restrained in her treatment. I think her replacing Glorfindel was appropriate and I enjoyed her stand at the fords, though I think I would have liked Frodo being given his moment to shine more.

Elrond: No issues with Weaving. There's a brooding wisdom that he carries very well. I like how they are exploring the conflict between him and Arwen.

Boromir: Along with Holm's Bilbo, I thought Bean's Boromir was one of the best things about Fellowship. Less egocentric and flawed than book Boromir but I think that even more underscored his tragedy. The right person in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Legolas: Book Legolas never made an impression on me one way or the other and Bloom's Legolas is just fine with me. His lines are few but I think he captures the idea of a character learning more than he ever expected from this chaotic dwarf he's stuck with.

Gimli: Although I'm not as incensed as some, I would have liked to see one or two of Gimli's punchlines taken out of the second film. I think he is a suitable device for comedy though, and there is some material in the book like his axe falling out when he bows to Treebeard. I laughed at the dwarf tossing joke but rolled my eyes at his falling off the horse in front of Eowyn - mostly because I don't understand what he was doing on the horse to start with. I think his relationship with Legolas is developing well, which in my mind is the most important thing.

Galadriel: Once the extended edition scenes were added, I was very comfortable with Blanchett's Galadriel. This is a powerful person who has an edge to her. That edge has been slowly tempered by time and wisdom, but I think it would have been wrong not to have it still there underneath.

Saruman: I think Christopher Lee plays these fallen men of power so well it's tough to imagine anyone else playing the role. Certainly a cruel megalomaniac, but there is a touch of sadness that comes across in his performance. You can't help but feel a bit sorry for him.

Eomer: He was in the second film, right? I think I'll have to reserve judgement after I see him do a bit more.

I'm running out of time, so I'll have to continue in another post.

H.C.